Bishop Dr. David Nguli Kalua, HSC

1937 — 2020

Birth & Early Life

Bish­op Dr. David Nguli Kalua was born in 1937, in Kya­mu­tu­la Vil­lage, Wamun­yu Loca­tion, Machakos Dis­trict. He was the first-born child of Kalua Kyam­bo and Lenah Kalak­we, and a broth­er to Tabitha Mwikya (all of whom are now deceased) and Benard Nzu­ki. Bish­op Kalua was indus­tri­ous and start­ed work­ing at an ear­ly age. Between 1953 and 1955, he moved to Nairo­bi where he was employed as a cof­fee pick­er at a cof­fee farm where he would earn a month­ly salary of Kshs. 15. In 1949, his par­ents moved to Kitui Dis­trict where he joined them for his edu­ca­tion at Ikan­ga Pri­ma­ry School. He lat­er trans­ferred to Lema Pri­ma­ry School in Machakos District.

Family First

In 1968, Bish­op Kalua mar­ried the love of his life Deb­o­rah Kavuu Kioli. Her exu­ber­ant per­son­al­i­ty com­ple­ment­ed his calm nature. They formed a dream team of love and were blessed with four chil­dren: Isaac Kalua, John Kioli, Julia Kalua, and Anne Ndin­da Shi­vo. Bish­op Kalua was a lov­ing father and hus­band who would give up any­thing for the sake of his fam­i­ly. In 1980, he resigned from a promis­ing career in the Pris­ons Ser­vice in order to focus ful­ly on rais­ing his chil­dren, some of whom were now approach­ing their teenage years.

Download Full Eulogy


The Warder & Gardener

Bish­op Kalua was a calm yet vibrant per­son­al­i­ty who ded­i­cat­ed his whole life to the ser­vice of human­i­ty. He start­ed his career in the church envi­ron­ment, work­ing as a gar­den­er in Ruiru and Pan­gani, before mov­ing briefly to the All Saints Cathe­dral. He then joined the Pris­ons Train­ing Col­lege in Nairo­bi West where he grad­u­at­ed as a prison warder. He was trained at the Nairo­bi City Park as a gar­den­er and florist. He served the pris­ons depart­ment with dis­tinc­tion and in 1965, was pro­mot­ed to the
rank of Lance Cor­po­ral. He lat­er rose to become a Senior Sergeant of Pris­ons. An envi­ron­men­tal­ist to the core, Bish­op Kalua spent most of his work­ing life, doing what had been his pas­sion from child­hood — tak­ing care of the plants that God cre­at­ed. His gar­den­ing work entailed tend­ing to flow­ers and plants; ensur­ing that

A Legacy of Stewardship

Bish­op David Kalua not only com­mit­ted his life to being a faith­ful stew­ard, but also passed it on to the next gen­er­a­tion. He took care of plants and flow­ers and instilled in his sons Isaac and John a life­long pas­sion for the envi­ron­ment. He took care of his pre­cious wife Deb­o­rah and their four chil­dren Isaac, John, Julia and Anne, with ded­i­ca­tion. He took care of the souls that God entrust­ed into his care as their Pas­tor and Bish­op. Indeed,
his life­long mot­to was ‘suvia kila winakyo,’ which means, take care of what you have. Through this, he demon­strat­ed ser­vant lead­er­ship in all his endeav­ors. And in recog­ni­tion of his out­stand­ing lead­er­ship, he was con­ferred a Doc­tor­ate in lead­er­ship in August 2018 by the Uni­ver­si­ty of Amer­i­ca in Kabar­net, along­side twen­ty oth­er Kenyan Bish­ops. He was so
behold­en to God’s omnipo­tence that he lit­er­al­ly engraved the words “Vinya wa Mwiai” (God’s might) inside his house and on win­dow grills.

A Time to Rest

Through­out his life, Nau, was strong and grace­ful, with no major health con­cerns. About 10 years ago he was diag­nosed with Dia­betes which was well man­aged thanks to the great and con­sis­tent efforts of a great fam­i­ly friend Dr. Kisyoka and his ded­i­cat­ed colleagues.

On 16th Novem­ber 2020, he was suc­cess­ful­ly fit­ted with a pace­mak­er to sup­port his heart func­tion. On 2nd Decem­ber 2020, he abrupt­ly devel­oped a heart com­pli­ca­tion and was admit­ted at the Mater Hos­pi­tal in Nairo­bi, for treat­ment. He improved so much that he was due to be dis­charged on Fri­day 11th Decem­ber 2020. How­ev­er, on the evening of Thurs­day 10th Decem­ber, he devel­oped chest pain and his blood pres­sure dropped sud­den­ly. Doc­tors imme­di­ate­ly put him on med­ica­tion to raise his blood pres­sure and by around 7.30pm that evening, his pres­sure was near nor­mal and he was trans­ferred to the HDU for fur­ther mon­i­tor­ing. By 9:10pm he had sta­bi­lized and could even talk. But the blood pres­sure kept going down and doc­tors had to use a sec­ond set of med­ica­tion to sus­tain him. But his breath start­ed fail­ing at about 4.30am, and he had to be put on a ven­ti­la­tor. Short­ly after 6am that same morn­ing, he suf­fered a car­diac arrest. The doc­tors tried to resus­ci­tate him, but he did not make it. At 6.15 am he went to be with his Mak­er, the All-know­ing God, whom he had spent his entire life serv­ing and mak­ing known to the world.

Download Full Eulogy